“One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
In Sept. I mentioned that I had lost somewhere around 2500 words from my manuscript. I have tried several times since then to re-write that particular scene – the one that went missing. I just couldn’t get it to work, and with every successive attempt I got more discouraged and frustrated. I had so little success, in fact, that this last weekend I actually decided that I would simply have to scrap the central idea behind that scene and do something entirely different.
I fired up Scrivener, installed a program update, and copied the last chapter folder I had worked on for the quick formatting. When I renamed the folder and opened it up to delete the duplicated text – it wasn’t duplicated text at all, but somehow, my missing scene!
I don’t know.
I went back to the folder I had copied and read the text there. It ended right before the missing scene. I went back to the “new” folder and opened it up. It didn’t have any of the text from the original folder, but instead had a document containing the previously missing scene. I hastily copied and pasted it, then backed everything up! Once that was finished, I read through the whole scene. It is just like I remembered it, and the element that I have struggling with for the last month and a half works just fine. I don’t know why I had so much trouble re-creating it!
I did flesh it out a bit, add to the end of it … and all of the discouragement and frustration that had been building up melted away. Suddenly I am enthusiastic again about this couple, and happy to be immersed in their story instead of wanting to scream at the characters for tormenting me.